Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Sorrow and Peace

I have struggled with whether to write this post or not, but I feel like this is the best way to express everything I'm feeling. A good friend of mine lost her husband in a tragic accident a few days ago. I cannot imagine what she is going through because I have never lost anyone that close to me (I've lost grandparents and a brother, but I think a husband is a much closer relationship). She is like a sister to me, and we did many things together when we were younger. I did not have the privilege of knowing her husband, but I could tell from pictures and the things she said about him that they had a beautiful relationship. Both of their families are mourning the loss of this wonderful young man. However, peace can also be found in this time of tragedy.

My friend is a wonderful example of this. Even though I know it's terribly hard for her to cope with the loss of her husband, her faith in the Plan of Salvation (go to mormon.org for more information) has provided her with the strength she needs. She has said that he is now on a new adventure and that she knows she will be with him again someday. Not that she believes or hopes it but that she KNOWS it.

My heart breaks for her, but I also have faith in our Heavenly Father's plan. I know there's nothing I could do if I were there to ease her pain, but I all I want to do is hug her. I talked to her father, and he told me to always cherish my family and to hug my husband a little tighter...we never know how long we have together because our time is not promised to us. He also told me not to sweat the little things. I agree with him completely. As people, we tend to take these relationships for granted and not realize what we have until it's gone (not all the time, but it does happen). I made a promise to him and myself that I would not let that happen anymore. Of course I know that my life is not going to be perfect and that I'll still have disagreements with my husband and one day with my daughters, but I do not want to make those moments define our relationship.

I am grateful for the knowledge that families can live together forever. I love my friend, and I ache for her every time I think about her loss, but I know she is surrounded by loved ones who offer her comfort. I don't even know if she reads this blog, but I want her to know that I love her very much and that I am with her in spirit even though I cannot be there for her physically. She and her family are in my thoughts and prayers every day.

No comments: